Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Barn Wood Frames...DIY

One of the rooms in the house is a little little sitting room off the main living room.  Legend has it that the old owners, previous to the ones we purchased the home from, had the entire upstairs blocked off from the house.  Living solely on the first floor... bedrooms and all.  It all sounds kind of peculiar to me, but who am I to judge or question another person's choices.  Especially choices that have no effect on me.

When we moved in, the small sitting room (which i will refer to as the den from here on out) was a fantastic shade of green... fantastic... if it were a tree.  Following Mason's room it was one of the color choices in the house I needed to change immediately.
me looking snazzy as I go about cleaning a built in shelving unit
So once Mason's room was complete I set about getting this room in order.  It's immediately off the living room and the bathroom is just on the otherside of it...so there is no hiding this room.

I started by cleaning a little built in closet unit (I'm sure its original to the house) by pulling out the poorly laid contact paper and laying new stuff down...minus the wrinkles.  Honestly, whoever laid the contact paper that was in there was either blind or drunk... either way there is no excuse for being that lazy and half-ass.

Now, to decorate the walls I hung my mom and dad's old cuckoo clock and a one cent world map I  purchased off of Amazon.com.    To keep cost down and frame my one penny map I asked John to make me a frame out of..... you guessed it.... more wood that was laying around the house.  Seriously folks, there is wood everywhere around here...free for our taking.

I didn't take a very good photo of this, the sun wasn't working in my favor... but you get the jist of what he did.  It has a really old rustic feel, knots and all.  I love it and hope to find something else he can make a frame for at some point.    So what you have here is the finished product... which covers more than 3 feet of wall space and cost me approximately $4... including shipping.  

This is the room after.  I love the new wall color.  We also purchased a $400 sleeper sofa to house out-of-state guests.   The cuckoo clock can be seen in this photo.  You also get a glimpse of the giant mirror I found out in the barn when we moved in.  It was one of the OH WOW items... I couldn't pull that from the rubble fast enough.
I single-handedly carried this massive giant into the house, cleaned it all up and was so proud of my find!  I believe its original intention was that of a dresser mirror, but with the thick wood frame and grand size i was more than happy to hang it on the wall in there to give the room a little pizazzzzz! Its slightly hidden by an old wardrobe trunk...but both the mirror and trunk make the perfect sleeping spot for my narcissistic kitty Batgirl.   Meeeow Kitty Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment