Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Bitless Riding

So previously I discussed what we could do to help Doppler embrace his new found youth (he is only 10 after-all) .  To call him nonathletic seems a little unfair, its like saying the fat kid will always be fat.  I beg to differ and my own son is proof positive that you can change. :)  Doppler definitely has a stubborn streak, no denying that...but he also has a willingness to please and a weakness for a pocket full of cookies!
Abi had been riding Doppler frequently around the yard bareback and with just his halter since we got him.  We had seen pictures of Doppler under saddle so we knew he had been ridden.  The owner expressed that he didn't really like the bit but that maybe we could try different ones and maybe he just had a sore in his mouth which is why he gave so much trouble when taking the bit.  OK, no big deal. Uh, yeah right!

One day after Abi finally got a saddle and bridle and a bit...she eagerly ran to the back yard, struggled to tack him up and then quickly put the bit in his mouth.  IMMEDIATELY...I knew Doppler wasn't happy in the worse way.  He tried to bury his head in my chest ~ and if he could talk I will swear that he was saying "oh please help me why are you letting this happen".  I watched him struggle and rear his head...jolt about...stick his tongue out wildly. While my heart did break for him...I'm not the horse person here, what do I know ~ And Abi she didn't seem that concerned.  She jumped up on his back and made an attempt to ride him.  It started out as a normal ride she got down to the end of the paddock and Doppler had enough of that... he had enough of her... he was done and that was that.  When a 900 pound animal decides that they are done, guess what, THEY ARE! He reared and he bucked and I panicked! Holy shit, my kid is on him!!! I yelled get off, however she never wavered and seemed much less concerned then I did, she got off while Doppler wildly flailed.   

I was frustrated for Doppler and I angrily told her and John to get that out of his mouth now.  And that was it... I told them to never put that thing in his mouth again.  I know I stirred some controversy in the house with John because that is how you ride a horse ~ isn't it?  After much researching I educated myself on the brutality of the bit and the alternatives to riding without one.  I am now well aware that a bit controls a horse by causing pain, not by creating trust between rider and horse.  Abi never gave me an argument...so I'm sure she was a little shaken by the event, up to this point all the horses she has ridden were well versed in the bit and take it without issue (although now i am sure they all take it reluctantly).  Why on earth would you put an animal through that agony needlessly.  I saw horrifying videos of the stuff a bit does to a horse.  (Once an animal activist, always an animal activist ~ sorry).

Since then I have learned a few more terms and techniques...not only can you ride bitless, but you should know how to ride your horse bitless and bareback... PEOPLE JUMP THEIR HORSES WITHOUT BITS AND SADDLES...  Now that's impressive.  

Anyway, I will spare you the science details but the bottom line is I will not have anyone torturing a pet of mine.  I immediately bought three different training halters that Abi can use to ride Doppler without the bit and guess what.... Doppler is not bucking and he is not rearing he is responding to her leg and do what he is asked (mostly!).  So remind me again why you MUST use a bit?  

No comments:

Post a Comment